Bad wood underneath the veneer
Wednesday, October 11, 2006
  Dangle
There is a certain kind of person here. I don't want to think that there are people like this everywhere. I want a "firm rampart" between this place and the real world (or my perception of it). But there is a certain kind of person who corrects my English grammar while I'm speaking (and making, what I hope to be, a fascinating and detailed point of fact) and you know, when I'm saying "And so the clientela system is where the modern patron-client relationship comes from." and he or she says, "Oh don't you mean, 'is from where the modern patron-client relationship comes'?" (Because, obviously, what you said is totally unintelligble.) Nevermind that the only reason we don't allow dangling prepositions is because, fuck you, it comes from Latin which never had punctuation to clarify them.

You know, I actually got into an argument with somebody yesterday that "intra" and "inter" mean about the same thing, to which he responded that, no, language has subtlety to it that a mah-toor individual could discern if he'd only respect the language. I suppose those distinctions should be left for the linguistic grundle-spelunkers of the world, but let's get down to brass tacks...

Why do we try to sound smart? Usually, I just sound retarded when I try to be smart. "I guess we really cannibalized that chair, eh man?" "No actually, we'd only be cannibalizing that chair if we were chairs ourselves and eating those chairs..." fuck! Fine. I get it. I'm not that smart. It's not even things like that that bother me. It's getting interupted not in mid-sentence, but more like, mid-word, "Well, he's the guy I've been referenc..." "don't you mean, referring? There's no such word as referencing. I don't even know what that means." (Which, by the way, I just looked it up and "referencing" is a transitive verb.) The point is, if the fucking toolshed president of the united states can say nuclearizing (And let's be clear here: Nuclear is hard to say, so people often say Nucular. It's okay. We know what they mean. Just like when people say "Super-fullous." It's actually easier than saying "super-fluous."), then I ought to be able to say referencing.
 
Comments:
dangle is one of those naturally funny words. see: "angle of my dangle".
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: S-Wing, The Beat

Unless you need it. And YOU need it bad.

ARCHIVES
September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 /

Blogs